Google announced a new release, a product review update for the English language. One month after the previous update, Google’s product reviews received their sixth upgrade.
As Google mentioned on Twitter, the fifth change to the search ranking algorithm for product evaluations, which tries to rank the web pages with the most valuable and helpful content for searchers, was released in September 2022.
The Google product reviews update aims to draw attention to review material better than most pre-written information you see online. Google claims to precedence these product reviews in the search results list. Google attempts to keep higher rankings on websites with more informative review information.
Google suggests using strategies like the following to make it easier for customers to see your product reviews in Google Search and on other Google surfaces:
- Evaluate the product from a user’s perspective.
- Demonstrate that you are knowledgeable about the products reviewed – show you are an expert.
- Provide evidence such as visuals, audio, or other links of your own experience with the product, to support your expertise and reinforce the authenticity of your review.
- Share quantitative measurements about how a product measures up in various categories of performance.
- Explain what sets a product apart from its competitors.
- Cover comparable products to consider, or explain which products might be best for certain uses or circumstances.
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of a particular product based on your own original research.
- Describe how a product has evolved from previous models or releases to provide improvements, address issues, or help users make a purchase decision.
- Identify key decision-making factors for the product’s category and how the product performs in those areas (for example, a car review might determine that fuel economy, safety, and handling are key decision-making factors and rate performance in those areas).
- Describe key choices in how a product has been designed and their effect on the users beyond what the manufacturer says.
- Include links to other useful resources (your own or from other sites) to help a reader make a decision.
- Consider including links to multiple sellers to give the reader the option to purchase from their merchant of choice.
- When recommending a product as the best overall or the best for a certain purpose, include why you consider that product the best, with first-hand supporting evidence.
- Ensure there is enough useful content in your ranked lists for them to stand on their own, even if you choose to write separate in-depth single product reviews for each recommended product.